Monday, September 3, 2012

I am Here!

The other day, I read a manga book for the first time ever. My friend recommended I do t, so I decided to at least try, even if it is a bit unusual.

I read I am Here! Volume 1 by Ema Toyama. It revolves around the story of a girl, Hikage Sumino , who is basically invisible to others. Her only friends are the two people who comment on her daily blog. But when the most popular boys in her class talks to her, she decides to re-invent herself.

I liked this story, because at times I can relate to Hikage, though not so much anymore, now that I am in high school. I thought the romance between Hikage and Hinata was super sweet! Hinata is awesome, and cute! Yet, so are all anime guys...

I thought the character development was a little bit rushed. I expected this book to be about her getting to know Hinata, and becoming stronger and gradually more confident because of him, and gradually she would become more and more outgoing. But no. At the very end of this book, she announces in front of the whole class that she had always felt invisible, and Hinata was the only person who saw her, and suddenly her classmates are all buddy-buddy with her.

Speaking of her classmates, Aya and her crew were so mean! I really didn't like her! I didn't really understand why she said "This is all your fault.". What is all Hikage's fault??

Overall, I liked this book. I want to get the second book, but my dad doesn't approve of me reading manga. When he saw the book, he asked me "Why don't you read a REAL book?" and I don't imagine he'll let me get the next one. I don't know. I understand where he's coming from, but I do usually read real books! This was just for fun, to take a break! Why can't he just let me enjoy it?

Until next time- happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment